Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ardmore Traditional Cask (NAS)

Sorry for the delay, dear readers - laid low with bad pneumonia since the last post. Not being able to breathe, taste, or smell anything really puts a damper on whisky drinking, let me tell you. But the night before I was stricken with lung plague I had a dram of this Ardmore at a bar, and was very favorably impressed. 


Ardmore seems to be one of those distilleries, like Aberfeldy, best known as the central ingredient in a blend. In this case, Ardmore is the center pillar in Teacher's Highland Cream, which I particularly like. My chances of liking this are therefore fairly high as well. Bottled at 46% ABV in American (bourbon) oak barrels with no age statement, and matured in quarter casks. 

So here's the review:

Nose: Very salty! Peat is very evident. A nice woodland musk, reminiscent of moss, wet leaves, bark. Herbs, and the cool firm flesh of unripe pear. Not a sweet nose at all, but I like it. 

Mouthfeel: Cool, very smooth. 

Palate: Smoky beyond any expectation! Salty, briny. Pepper, wood slats betray the oak influence. No sweetness to speak of, which is intriguing. This is the first No Age Statement whisky I've had that doesn't taste palpably young in any way. I'd say there is a healthy balance of old stuff in here, which is a nice change. After a second glass you get a little caramel sweetness, finally, from the bourbon influence. But it's subtle and only hinted at. 

Finish: Long, dry, oaken, full. 

Verdict: Recommended. I want another bottle of this to dissect further, but it's quite good and priced reasonably ($37). 

Website for Ardmore - it's under construction: http://www.ardmorewhisky.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment