Saturday, January 20, 2018

Compass Box Peat Monster Blend

I've had several offerings in the Compass Box family - including Spice Tree, Orangerie, and Great King Street: Artist's Blend, which I reviewed and quite liked - but none has intrigued me more than Peat Monster. 
My favorite Scotches are all Islays, and among the non-Islays that I favor, I highly value smokiness. Peat Monster is rather difficult to find in bars (I succeeded once, at Smoke and Barrel in Adams Morgan, Washington DC, but the bottle was 4/5 empty and tasted out of sorts), and is expensive by the bottle. I lucked out and found a great price (thanks to my friend Mik of Miksologist.com!) at Morris Miller in DC, and picked it up. 

Compass Box is somewhat known/notorious/beloved for including the names and proportions of whiskies that go into their high class blends. I love this open door policy, and I wish more companies emulated their transparency. The info I found for Peat Monster is: about 40% Laphroaig, 26% Ardmore, 20% Ledaig, 13% Caol Ila, and the final 1% a Highland blend of peated Clynelish (!), Teaninich, and Dailuaine, the trio is then aged for a couple years in French oak burgundy casks. The single malts are all first-fill bourbon casks, I believe. 

Bottled at 46% ABV, no artificial coloring  (lovely straw color) and no chill-filtering. 

Nose: Well, this has a hell of a lot of peat in it, the label doesn't lie. Peat, strong uncooked bacon, light tobacco, thick smoke, iodine (gets stronger as the glass oxidizes and adds seaweed), more peat, with vanilla malt intertwining subtly with all of it. A very enchanting nose for a peat lover. 

Mouthfeel: Somewhat viscous, creamy, almost syrupy. 

Palate: Delicious and extremely smooth - highly salted caramel, something of a citric burst of candied limes, followed immediately by a huge wave of warm peat, and closing out with a large amount of smoke that stays and haunts your tongue. 

Finish: Very very long, oak ash and peat. No pepper or tannins to speak out. Drying and remains a long time. 

Verdict: This is the definitive Islay-oriented blend, in my opinion. Giant flavor that is peat forward, with lots of balancing elements. Of the component whiskies I generally detect the Laphroaig iodine signature, the Caol Ila sweetness, and the Ardmore salt-and-ash with dry, astringent smoke the strongest. 

Everything is so coherent and perfectly integrated. Interestingly, I would not call this a monster, really. It's quite balanced and put together, and never overpowers you with any of its flavors. This is a great whisky, and earns its good reputation. Found for $50, but usually is closer to $75 where I am; worth seeking out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment