Monday, February 24, 2020

Teeling Single Pot Still Irish Whisky


This blog has natural dips in production (much like some distilleries!) when my supplies and funds both get low at the same time. But today is a great treat - not a Scotch, but a very worthy Irish whisky has crossed my path!

Teeling is a very recent distillery: Wikipedia tells me it was founded in 2015, the first new whisky distillery in Dublin in ~125 years. That's an impressive fact all by itself, but isn't worth much if the golden stuff doesn't back it up. 

What we have here is 50% malted, 50% unmalted, aged in virgin oak, bourbon oak, and sherry casks, it's bottled at 46% ABV without chill filtering. 

Nose: Very thick, spicy, sweet. Waxy white grapes, vanilla, waxy ripe banana. Faint iron, like tasting a penny. Maybe gingerbread? 

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied.

Palate: Lemon, cereal grains, apple cores, white wine, a hint of the same metallic element. Lemon and lemon zest are predominant. The gingerbread from the nose turns into baking spices here - cloves, especially.  

Finish: Very short, more lemon and spices. This is where the whisky feels youngest to me - it just zaps out of existence so quickly. 

Verdict: Very tasty! The spicy nose and citrusy palate really produce an interesting young spirit here.  I wasn't surprised by the overall brightness - I've read this is only 3 years old - but there are some fascinating things happening here nonetheless, particularly the odd metallic note. Worth trying, definitely. 


1 comment:

  1. Just got the regular Teeling at a good price. For the price it is a great whisky! But, this lemon/honey cream note sorta annoys me, so I don't find myself reaching for it often. Still, wouldn't turn it down and would love it at a bar.

    This is Rob, btw. Was going through your reviews, ralfy.com and the whiskey vault for recommendations. Didn't realize I could still post!

    ReplyDelete