Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Mackmyra 13 Year (Single Cask Nation)

 

(Thank you to WhiskyBase for the photo)

I have taken quite a liking to Mackmyra, the Swedish whisky distiller. I previous had a heavily peated bottle of their whisky from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society that was fabulous. When I saw this unpeated independent bottling from Single Cask Nation languish in their shop for a few months, I had to pick it up before it vanished forever. 

It seems Single Cask Nation has had two bottles of Mackmyra available, and curiously they are the same age, distilled one year apart, and only .1% different in the ABV (47.5% vs this bottle, 47.4%). I don't have a ton of things to say about this, preferring instead to dive right in:

Nose: Apricot, peach, fresh oak perfume, sugar, rich tobacco. 

Mouthfeel: Very velvety and robust. Wonderful mouthfeel on this. 

Palate: Lots of drying oak, fresh cut grass, sugar cubes, flowers, honey, a bit of salt to go with the sugar. Lovely and tremendously moreish. 

Finish: Not very long at all - sweet and bitter in turns: sugar cookies, honey, and lots of oak. 

Verdict: Quite a lovely little whisky, I'm very glad I picked it up. The perfumed oak and the leathery bitterness perfectly complement the sugary honey sweetness. Well balanced, with a tremendous mouthfeel. Great stuff. 


No comments:

Post a Comment