Thursday, June 30, 2022

Blog Pause (Covid)

Sadly, I got the dreaded coronavirus last weekend, and after laying waste to my flesh and blood, it has scrambled my sense of smell (and presumably taste) as well. 

Tomato-based sauces like ketchup currently smell horribly burnt and acrid to me. Coffee tastes muted. Potato chips taste like metal. 

And scotch? Well, this last bottle of Craigellachie I bought from the SMWS - the 8 year sherry-matured one, at 67.9% ABV - went from a rich, explosive dram to an oddly powerless spirit. All I can scent is malt barley and chocolate, and only barely. All I can taste are chocolate and blueberries. None of those were present in my first tasting. 

Strangest of all the gigantic wash of alcohol I got when my sinuses were free and clear is totally missing. It's like the glass was left out for several days and went flat. It's the oddest thing.

So until things are tasting normal again, I can't review anything in good faith. Otherwise I'll be famous across the internet as the guy who said Macallan tasted like Laphroaig, and Laphroaig tasted like dishwater, and dishwater tasted like paperclips fried in old hair clippings. 

Cross your fingers that this passes quickly, and enjoy a dram on my behalf in the meantime. 

P.S. The last three reviews were all scheduled to release long after the bottles were in hand, so don't worry about those being "tainted" - my tongue and nose were still in service when those were done. 

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on the recovery! My whole family finally got Covid last week but all of us only had mild symptoms. Lost of taste and smell is one symptom I was very afraid of as it robs us of the great hobby of fine food and drink. One of my friend's wife got Covid during the beginning in 2020 and she still has messed up taste to this day. But I think people having it in more recent times with more virus mutations have found their senses recovering faster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will do a self-test every other day or so with various drinks and foods. I'm very impatient for this to be over hahaha. The whisky doesn't drink itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you! Taste is slowly coming back, a little bit every day. Hoping to be back in the saddle soon.

      Delete