Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Blackadder Sherry Snake (NAS, Batch SS01)

 


I have become a huge fan of Blackadder, the independent bottler of scotch whisky. I had a Ben Nevis Raw Cask from them that was one of the best drams I've had all year. I decided to take a risk on this "Sherry Snake" bottle - no age statement, no distillery identity, no color added, no filtration, cask strength (61.9% ABV), from "first fill sherry butts." Very curious. 

Without further ado, let's soak ourselves in sherry goodness: 

Nose: Very, very rich. Grape jam, raw meat, sulfur, banana, leather, orange, chocolate,  cherry, stone fruit, even banana, tobacco, black strap molasses, rum. Just a very very complex nose. 

Mouthfeel: Neat, this is medium/thick. With water, it's insanely chewy and viscous. 

Palate: As rich as the nose, even moreso maybe: Chocolate, chili pepper, peach, meat, BBQ sauce, honey, banana, apple sauce, cherry tart, Dr Pepper, sulfur, wood, furniture polish, orange, soy sauce. I'm not kidding, it's all in there. 

Finish: Grape, soy, wood, leather, chocolate, pepper. Long, long, long. 

Verdict: An incredible sherried whisky. Lord knows I wish I knew how old this was and where it came from! My guess: 12 year cask strength Glenfarclas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment