Thursday, May 18, 2023

Bunnahabhain 14 Year (SMWS 10.249, 30th Anniversary Bottling, "Spectacular Horse's Mane Waves")

 


This throwback label celebrates 30 years of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society in America - and the whisky behind the label is a 14 year unpeated Bunnahabhain. I really like Bunnahabhain and was delighted when I won this lottery-only release. 


Here are the official notes: 

Interesting - four year oloroso finish! I like when the SMWS gets fanciful with their descriptions, and this certainly meets that requirement - white-crested seahorses! I am curious about venison stew (!), bacon and cheese potatoes... especially in an unpeated Islay!!

I really love Bunnahabhain - both peated and unpeated - and I am quite looking forward to this. I still haven't had the official cask strength 12 year bottling, so I will eventually compare notes between them. 

Let's see how SMWS celebrates 30 years: 

Nose: Sweet, fruity, rich. Lots of pear and apple and cherry, but particularly the pear. Balsamic vinegar. Salt. Caramel. A lot of sherry influence - with some time in the glass, raisins and walnuts. Sand/minerals - there is definitely oceanic influence here. 

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, but also oily. 

Palate: Sherry bomb mixed with ocean bomb - salt, wood, vinegar, raisins, stewed plums and cherries, an herbal bitterness, walnuts, orchard fruit. Caramel. 

Sadly, I don't get potatoes, cheese, bacon, any of the savory notes - perhaps deeper in the bottle. I'll update if that's the case. This is a real salt-leaning sherry bomb as I'm tasting it. 

Finish: Not very long, but complex and well-integrated despite the brevity - wood tannins, wisps of alcohol, raisin skin, walnuts, beach pebbles, sea salt, sherry, and gone. 

Verdict: An absolutely lovely unpeated Bunna, I immediately understand why they chose this to represent the 30 years of SMWS in America: it's rich, luscious, lots of flavor, powerful mouthfeel, big sherry influence without losing the essential Islay character. A real winner. Worth picking up at auction etc. if you like this kind of thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment