Monday, November 16, 2020

Glen Moray 12 Year (SMWS 35.266 "Traditional Butterscotch Fudge")


At the same Scotch tasting where I had my beloved Tomintoul, I also had a delightful 9 year Glen Moray that was my girlfriend's favorite - full of waxy oranges and delicious tea notes. So I was delighted to find that the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS) featured several offerings from Glen Moray. I chose the one coded 35.266, named "Traditional Butterscotch Fudge," and aged for 12 years in first-fill bourbon barrel. No coloring, no filtering. Bottled at 57.4% ABV.

 

Nose: Surprisingly tropical while also full of baked goods: mango, pineapple, tons of honey, croissants, cinnamon, cocoa. Quite rich.   

Mouthfeel: Medium, and oily. 

Palate: More mangos, more chocolate - tons of chocolate, and more thick bread notes. The official SMWS note here is "doughnuts," and I don't think that's far off. Thick, sweet bread - almost like a pecan swirl. The chocolate presents as both milk chocolate and dark chocolate.  

Finish: Rather on the short side, the mango sourness combines with a late-arriving wood note and both fade away. With water, this is lengthened. The finish is the weakest element.

Verdict: This is quite nice and - even better - it's interesting. The topical nose, the bread notes, the chocolate... all outweigh the rather brief finish. I'll definitely be trying more from Glen Moray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment