Sunday, November 15, 2020

Tomintoul 10 Year (Exclusive Malts, Second Review)

 





At the fabled Impex Scotch tasting that changed my opinion of independent bottlings (and several distilleries, particularly), my favorite was a 10 year Tomintoul, which positively dripped with honey and marshmallow. Over the years I've sourced a couple more bottles, and I think it's time to revisit this hallowed dram and see if my memory actually aligns with the liquid. After all, it came in the middle of a series of cask strength samples... for example, this is 56.2% ABV. 

Nose: What's really interesting is that this aligns very closely with the Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottling (SMWS bottle 89.11, "A Kraftwerk Orange") of Tomintoul that I'm currently working through: dusty, clay, putty, honey, apple, spun sugar. This is clearly the Tomintoul "signature" - specifically that chalky clay note, which I've never encountered anywhere else. Maybe it's in the water? Speaking of water, adding a few drops releases a nice perfume note. 

Mouthfeel: Quite viscous. 

Palate: Yup, still this big marshmallow note, paired with rich honey, and this time with quite a bit more peppery wood influence than my original review suggested, and less wax - I think I was interpreting that clay note as waxy. This is still completely delicious, and a huge favorite of mine. The sweetness is tempered by the woody and peppery notes. There are hints of the notes I find in the SMWS palate, like strew or broth and toasted seeds. The marshmallow, I think, derives from the wood and is unique to this Exclusive Malts series of casks, because the non-marshmallow notes all align with the SMWS bottling. Tomintoul appears to be quite consistent.  

Finish: Medium long with the marshmallow and the black pepper/wood note intertwining and fading away. 

Verdict: This is as good as I remember it, and - if anything - more interesting given the SMWS bottling I've had, and the curiosity of the intervening years. This is priced just south of $100, and I think it's worth it. Perhaps my favorite Speyside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment