Friday, April 2, 2021

anCnoc Cutter (NAS)

 


According to my blog history, I haven't had anCnoc since ... 2014! Seven years, too long for this Highland single malt. Pronounced "an-nock" (I feel every lead-in for this distillery must start with that wild name, right?), this is a discontinued part of their peated line. The current expression, I think, is called "Peatheart," which is pretty good. I really want to try the also-discontinued Flaughter, but can't find it near me for a decent price. This however, I got for a steal. Peated to 20.5 ppm, non-chill filtered, uncolored, appears to be ex-bourbon, and bottled at 46%. Here we go: 

Nose: Peat phenols come through first, but recede pretty quickly as the glass sits and breathes. Then salted butter. Then smoking straw. Then a vein of vanilla.  Underneath that is malted barley. Some pear? Some cocoa? Quite a nice nose that gets increasingly open and complex as you let it oxidize. 

Mouthfeel: Thin, oily. 

Palate: This is quite delicious - following on the hints from the nose: chocolate eclair, lightly poached pears, cream, gentle peat and smoke, salted butter. Very tasty!

Finish: Pretty long - smoke and fresh baguette (yeast?). 

Verdict: This is surprisingly delicious. I didn't know what to expect going in, and I wish this wasn't discontinued. It reminds me strongly of the Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair: gently fruity, tons of cocoa and chocolate, gentle smoke, strong surrounding flavors. If you can find a bottle of this languishing on a liquor store shelf somewhere, I highly recommend snapping it up. Rich, young, interesting, at craft presentation, and delicious - the bottle will drain quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment