Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Blackadder Peat Reek Embers (Special Reserve, Oloroso Finish, NAS)

 


I can't find very much about the Peat Reek series from independent bottler Blackadder. Even less so about the Embers designation, or the Special Reserve status. All I *do* know for certain is that it's peated to 50 ppm, it's unfiltered and cask strength, and it carries no age statement. Considering that Sherry Snake was the same way - and was beyond fabulous - I am very hopeful for this.

I suspect that the "Embers" portion simply means a heavy char of some kind. Special Reserve... could mean anything. The only other discussion I've seen of this batch says "It's not from Islay." Blackadder ain't saying. I'll reserve judgment until I've tried it.

First, a note about the appearance, which I rarely make: this is insanely cloudy, and it's very obvious this has not been subjected to any filtration. It's cloudy like ouzo when you add water. And there are HUGE chunks of cask floating around in there. Another Dram Hunters selection by Raj Sabharwal (he has great taste). 

Bottled at 59.2%, and bottle number 67 out of 126 drawn from the final Oloroso cask of batch EMB14. Let's see what we can taste here:

Nose: A classical sherried Islay-style nose here: brown sugar BBQ and maritime peat, right off the top. Rich red BBQ sauce, Kansas City style, black pepper, old wood, black olives, old pork, salty sea peat, rock salt, dark brine, hints of anise, more brine, and medicinal iodine. An outrageously rich nose. 

Mouthfeel: Exceedingly heavy body. 

Palate: While the nose was all BBQ, the palate is more citric, brighter, and smokier by far. I get a wide bar of smoke, lime, anise, bright salt, lemon peel, brine, iodine, that sweet BBQ note, seafood, lemongrass... it's very rich. I'm curious about the age - this doesn't taste young at all, but more in the 12-16 range. 

Finish: Long smoky finish full of black pepper, brown sugar, pure rock salt, and wood. 

Verdict: If this *isn't* Islay - as the gossip reports - then I have no idea what it is. Ledaig? Glenturret? It's sweet but salty, oceanic and medicinal yet woody and with a citrus brightness about it. Quite smoky on the palate, and without any alcohol burn to speak of. Amazing whisky - I wish I knew more about it. 

I honestly would have easily said it was Bunnahabhain or Ardbeg based on the notes I got. As it stands... of the non-Islay peated whiskies, there is no way this is Highland Park, Benriach, Ardmore, Balvenie, and I'm highly doubtful it's Longrow or Kilkerran. That's basically just leaves Ledaig. Please leave alternate suggestions (or alternate rumors!) in the chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment