Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Ben Nevis 12 Year (SMWS 78.49 "I Hope You Like Jamming Too")

 


This was the introductory dram at the March 2023 outturn tasting of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society ("SMWS") at Jack Rose Saloon in Washington DC. I like Ben Nevis (owned by Japanese company Nikka) the most when it is dank, dirty, and industrial. Weirdly, almost none of the single cask releases I've had from SMWS have showcased that particular angle. 


And this is no different. Creamy, grassy, and fruity, this was a nice way to kick off the night, but not my favorite whisky of the month by any means. 

Here are the official notes:

The fragrance of rose water, jasmine and coconut milk instantly suggested Thai green curry before marzipan and nuts moved us towards tropical fruits, bergamot and kumquat. The palate was sweet and opulent with a mouth-coating demeanour that embraced sticky syrup, apricot jam and vanilla custard. With time came hints of wood char alongside coffee beans, wood spices and toasted rye bread. A dash of water enhanced the wood with aromas of pine forests, charred oak and dunnage warehouses. A hint of seaside brought gravadlax while on the palate the sweetness had become earthy and drier with fresh tobacco, grape skin and rum notes that developed into burnt toffee and ginger biscuits.

I will spoil things a bit: these notes are very accurate. Bottled at 64.4% ABV, let's just get into my impressions:

Nose: Coconut milk, melon, roasted almonds, and tea. Quite a nice nose, but not outstandingly complex or anything. 

Mouthfeel: The best part of the dram - very thick, viscous mouthfeel.

Palate: Sweet, fruity: I got condensed milk, some wood, and tropical overtones (coconut, pineapple). 

Finish: Oak, vanilla, and a certain mustiness I wished I had more of. Nice. 

Verdict: Very solid offering from Ben Nevis here, but - again - not my preferred angle on this distillery. They can be exceedingly dank/farmy and this is the opposite - fruited, rounded, with weird musty hints on the back end that don't quite do it for me. Good, but not great in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment