Saturday, September 7, 2024

Caol Ila 11 Year (Blackadder Raw Cask, Sherry Butt finish)

 


Well, well, what do we have here? A sherry-finished Caol Ila of middle age, raw and unfiltered, presented by my favorite independent bottler? Sign me right up. 

Caol Ila, I've heard (as of late 2024) is cutting waaaaaaaaay back on selling barrels to independent bottlers like Blackadder; I'm not sure how much of that is just industry hype to try and move more of the juice, and how much is Diageo tightening its belt in a toughening market. 

Either way, I've still never - not once - had a bad bottle from Blackadder. In fact, virtually all of them have been fabulous to the extent that I will buy them wherever I find them, even if it means eating into my food budget. 

This is aged 11 years, aged in a mysterious "sherry butt," bottled at 58.1% ABV, and promises nice things. Let's find out:

Nose: Peat, butter, tar, ash, brown sugar, uncooked BBQ pork ribs. A classic "sherry + peat Islay profile. It's amazingly "clean" for such a robust Islay profile. 

With some water and time, I get the addition of some spicy herbal tea and fresh pepper. 

Mouthfeel: Medium, right in the middle of the road. 

Palate: Medicinal peat (iodine, fresh gauze), brown butter, prunes and quinces, and BBQ meat (ribs, red sauce, ash). Salt and pepper. Balsamic vinegar. Surprisingly tasty and rich. 

Finish: Smoke, ash, brown sugar, honey, and it goes on and on and on. 

Verdict: Outstanding. I'll admit - this bottle is already gone. I introduced this to a friend, withheld some for another friend, and had some myself - BAM, all gone. It's the best Caol Ila I've had in some time, and worth finding if you can. A fantastic peat+sherry mating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment