Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Bruichladdich Rocks (NAS)

We've covered a bottle from Port Charlotte already, the heavily peated imprint from Islay distiller Bruichladdich ("Brook-LAH-dee"). Yesterday I had a chance to sample this unusual bottle - Bruichladdich Rocks, an "un-peated" Islay single malt. Rocks is but one of a three-part set from Bruichladdich, the other two being the simply named Peat and Waves. I usually like creative and/or descriptive marketing, but this is perhaps not quite enough for me to get a firm hold on. 


Rocks. Just... rocks...?

What kind of rocks? Ice, like "on the rocks"? Rocks like on an island? Rocks like "this goes to 11"? No idea. The website implies it's my second guess, in that the water used to make it is filtered through Gneiss rocks that are nearly two billion (!!!) years old. If that's the case, I think just "Rocks" is sort of underselling things a tad. 

I myself might have gone with something a little bolder like "Bruichladdich Double Billion." Especially when they actually do sell bottles with names like Bruichladdich Black Arts, which I'm dying to try. 

Bruichladdich has firmly cemented their "craft presentation" reputation in the Scotch world, and is quite popular where I am. I see The Laddie (their standard 10 year offering) in almost every store, with its bright teal cylinder. Port Charlotte and especially Octomore are a little more obscure, but are widely talked about and still relatively obtainable. So how does Rocks fare? It's bottled at 46%, and is matured in ex-bourbon that is finished in red wine barrels.

Nose: The wine is right upfront - sour red grapes. A salty seaweed note is present - the Islay environment, I would guess. Caramel-dipped apples... no, I take that back. The flavors are not as intertwined as I thought, the more I scent them - caramel, and also apples. Also vanilla, likely from the bourbon. 

Mouthfeel: Nice, substantial. Coats the tongue. 

Palate: Lots and lots and lots of red grapes. The wine influence is very strong here, but also transparent - I feel like like the young alcohol really cuts the wine taste, like a dealer shuffling a fresh deck of cards made up of all red suits. What is interesting and nice about this is how the wine transmutes into vanilla with a cereal backing. Faint smoke is tiptoeing around. 

Finish: The oak influence returns and dries out your mouth. Rather short finish. 

Verdict: Recommended! I wish it had a little more imaginative name, and I wish it were a little older, but I really liked the pairing of strong grape flavors with the vanilla/pepper oak influence. Very easy to drink. Young, but not raw. Worth your time. 

Link to the Bruichladdich Rocks website: http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-whisky/bruichladdich/bruichladdich-rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment