Sunday, July 16, 2017

Lagavulin 16 (Second Take)


While re-reading some of my old reviews, the one that struck me the most as needing revising was Lagavulin's 16-year core expression. My initial review finds a lot of sweetness, even a lemon citrus element... well, I've had a LOT of Lagavulin in the intervening years, and since then I don't remember much of a lemon scent, or really much sweetness at all. So I thought I would give this one a new look, much as I recently took a second glance at Talisker Storm. 


Nose: Nope, no lemon - it's rich caramel, and grapes! Specifically, caramel from bourbon casks, and light but clear sherry: dark dense raisins, and when combined with the peat scent, maybe even charred raisins. 

Primarily though, there is also a ton of iodine and coal tar. Quite a lot of dark, dark coal, really. Occasional strong whiffs of deep black ash. If you leave the glass out to breathe a while, the smoke settles somewhat, and the malt and sherry elements come a little more forward. This is definitely a mix of ex-bourbon and ex-sherry casks.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, creamy. 

Palate: The tar really comes forward for me here, oily. Pepper intermixes with the sherry fruit and malt, and a pine flavor arises. The ex-bourbon barrels are hinted at with a tiny bit of bright vanilla and something that might be pear. Everything is very rich and rounded and smooth, which agrees with my previous review. The full 16 years can really be felt. 

Finish: Pepper, wood, caramel, coal, and smoke. Very long finish, the smoke stays on your tongue for many minutes. The wood must be oak, but somehow continues to come across as pine to me. 

Verdict: Really magisterial. This is a smooth, confident dram. The flavors are strong, nuanced, and really delicious. I forgot how much I liked paying close attention to this. A great whisky! I'd like to try the Distiller's Edition or the 12 year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment