Thursday, October 15, 2020

Ardmore 12 Year (SMWS 66.165 "Mesmerizing and Entertaining")

 


I recently joined the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS) - trying to be a bit more adventurous and social in my tasting journey - and this was the bottle I chose as my joining gift. The SMWS has a somewhat idiosyncratic way of labeling their bottles, using a cask code instead of stating the distillery. However, there are multiple websites that "decode" these numbers, which is how I learned that cask code 66 equals Ardmore - my beloved Ardmore. I jumped all over it.

 

This bottle is aged 12 years in a refill bourbon hogshead, and is bottled at a nice, stiff 60%. No coloring, no filtering. How does it fare?

Nose: Anchovies, oysters, minerality, salinity, red wine vinegar, peat, smoke. Rich, delectable, unusual. 

Mouthfeel: Medium, silky, viscous.

Palate: Briny minerality, some iodine and tons of sea salt, sea shells, some smoky sweetness (molasses?), and some peat. Maybe of the anchovies and oysters, along with some pepper. Highly saline in character - like shucking oysters that have soaked in a sweet, strong brine. Amazingly coastal for a Eastern Highland distillery! 

Finish: Over a bed of green chilis, a thick smoke rolls in and takes up residence on your tongue. Long lasting finish. 

Verdict: Another Ardmore I love. This is full of sea/food notes, rock notes, peat, and a wispy Highland smoke that carries all the way to the finish. For me, a huge winner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment