Thursday, February 25, 2021

Big Peat blend, Cask Strength (Christmas Edition 2019)

 



Big Peat is a blend from independent bottler Douglas Laing that delivers exactly what you think it does: big, peated whisky. An Islay blend (including Ardbeg! as well as Bowmore, Caol Ila, and Port Ellen - yes, THAT Port Ellen), delivered with craft presentation at 53.7% ABV (Christmas edition only) with no filtration and no coloring. Let's see how Mr. Laing delivers his big peated whisky: 

Nose: Curious! Some peat, but the earthy woodsy kind; not at all coastal, like I expected. Peppermint! Moss, tree bark, peppercorns. Olives, green and black. This is a VERY unusual nose, and one that I find a little bonkers for an Islay blend, but absolutely enjoy. Some faintly floral hints on the edge of some rock salt. 

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick. 

Palate: Earthy peat (fungal!), minty (menthol!), smoky (bonfire wood smoke). Vinegar brine. Quite dry. I don't know if this peat is big, but it has real character. Salty as hell, too.  Salt and menthol!! I can't think of anything else like this. Full of quirky flavor. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a combination of several "off-profile" casks from Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Bowmore, and Port Ellen. The Ardbeg, interesting, is the most recognizable here. 

Finish: Sadly, quite short. No wood, no pepper to carry long distances here. Smoke is the longest lasting flavor, and it's still quite brief. 

Verdict: I like this crazy, kooky blend - but I think it only works at cask strength. I've read around the web that the standard strength version of this could use the extra "oomph" - and here, I have to report, it has that oomph and I enjoyed it. Worth exploring, especially since it seems to be priced around ~$50 for a cask strength Scotch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment