Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Teacher's Highland Cream (2016 bottling)

 


Here is a blend I know very little about - Teacher's Highland Cream, made with an usually high amount of single malt - predominantly my beloved Ardmore, owned by the same parent company. Bottled at 43%, and purportedly 45% single malt and 55% grain whisky. Let's explore:

Nose: This is a very decent blend, right off the nose. I flatter myself to think I can smell the Ardmore in here, but I'm probably wrong. I get a lot of creamy malt, with a grain backbone. Very basic, as you would expect from a $20 blend. 

Mouthfeel: Very thin, but also expected.

Palate: Not bad! Malty - lots of malt flavors here, like a malt bin at the distillery. Alcohol bloom and burn is also present - as you might expect. Some very faint and light fruit - pears, specifically. Farmyard flavors, too: oats, hay, grass. 

Finish: Dries up immediately, leaving some malt flavor and a tiny bit of the pear - and what is this?? Some smoke appears on the tongue. Nice surprise. 

Verdict: This is the better blend, compared to J&B, Cutty Sark, McClelland's, and the like. Lots of basic flavor here (that malt bin!) and the soft pear note is nice too. For the price, pretty damned decent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment