Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Bunnahabhain 10 Year (Clan Denny)

 


Another interesting independent bottling - this time it's Islay staple Bunnahabhain, a single cask offering from Clan Denny aged 10 years in a refill hogshead, bottled unfiltered and without coloring at 46%. I am no great fan of Bunnahabhain, so I am hoping this independent lens onto the spirit will sway me towards it. Let's see:

Nose: Soft, nuanced, smoky, peated, malty. Coastal, saline. The longer it sits in the glass, a you get a subtle fruit and a light savory influence - quite indirect.  

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick viscosity. 

Palate: Much more pleasant than the nose might have suggested: pear flesh, apple core, maybe a little apricot, smoke, peat, malt, salt, and pepper. Very elemental, in a good way.

Finish: Decently long, smoke and pepper. No obvious wood tannins, which is both a little surprising and also welcome - it's spirit-forward. 

Verdict: This is one of my favorite Bunnahabhains that I've had, but I think it's still my least favorite Islay. Not overly powerful, it's nicely balanced, with a coastal salty smoke that I rather like (eat your heart out, Talisker), bracing up the soft and gentle fruit that so many love from Bunna. This bottle is worth exploring, for anyone also on the fence with Bunnahabhain - it's the best face forward for that distillery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment